Asbestos

As a responsible landlord, we believe we should do all we can to ensure the health and safety of all our customers and we undertake a number of activities to help minimise the risk of exposure to asbestos.

What is asbestos?

Asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral, made up of many fibres. It was widely used in building materials between 1930 and 1999 because of its strength and resistance to heat and sound.

Is it dangerous?

Asbestos is only a risk to health if fibres are released into the air and these are breathed in. It is now illegal to put asbestos into new buildings or renovations, but much of it is still in place in older buildings. As long as the property is in good condition and the asbestos is left undisturbed and undamaged, there is little risk. Exposure to high levels can cause lung diseases.

Does this affect my home?

Some of our houses and flats will have some asbestos containing materials. These were probably used as fire protection. Usually they will be in areas you wouldn’t normally go into such as roof spaces. These should not present a health risk if they have not been damaged or disturbed. Typical items that contain asbestos are:

  • Cement sheet roofs and roof tiles
  • Fascias, soffits and drainpipes
  • Insulation board panels –e.g. to boiler cupboards
  • Textured coatings such as Artex
  • Vinyl floor tiles
  • Cement water tanks in lofts
  • Insulation around pipes and boiler flues.

 

Asbestos materials that remain undisturbed or are in good condition present no health risks to residents. You should not saw, break, scrape, brush or screw into asbestos. If you think you have damaged asbestos in your home, contact our Customer Services Team Immediately on 0330 123 1860.
Further information regarding asbestos is available from the HSE website or on their Asbestos helpline 0845 345 0055. 
You can also download or view our leaflet Asbestos: a guide for tenants from the link below.

Asbestos a guide for tenants [pdf] 269KB