Moving home by Mutual Exchange
A Mutual Exchange is a swap of accommodation between two, three, four, or more tenants and relies on each party moving permanently into their exchange partner’s property. A tenant cannot exchange into an empty property.
You can apply to exchange your home if you are a Housing Association/Trust tenant with an assured tenancy or a Council or Housing Association/Trust tenant with a secure tenancy. All tenants must apply for, and obtain permission from their respective landlord before going ahead with an exchange.
Permission can be withheld if:
- You are subject to a possession order or a suspended possession order
- You have been given notice of seeking possession
- The home you would like to exchange into is either too big or too small for your needs
- The home you would like to exchange into is adapted to be suitable for tenants with disabilities that no member of your family will require
- If you do not have a clear rent account
To apply for a mutual exchange you can register on the Exchange Locata, Swap and Move, HomeSwapper, or House Exchange websites which are a simple way to exchange your home online. You can access available property house swap opportunities from home, libraries or the computer in our reception. You can even receive text messages to advise you when people register with a property that matches your needs.
Please remember that:
- You should inspect your potential new home carefully before deciding to make your exchange. Remember you have to accept your new exchange property in its present condition if you exchange
- Either party may withdraw at any time before all new tenancies have been signed
- We have 42 days to respond to your request to move
- You should never accept any offer of a payment or inducement to carry out an exchange. This is illegal and could lead to you losing your home
If you are a Victory Housing Trust tenant and would like more information about mutual exchanges, speak to our Customer Services Team free on 0330 123 1860. If you are a tenant of another Housing Association or Council then you should contact your landlord first. A copy of the mutual exchange application form can be downloaded by clicking on the link;
To apply for a mutual exchange you can register on;