Domestic abuse is an incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening, degrading and violent behaviour, including sexual violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality.


Domestic abuse and other forms of violence against women are most commonly perpetrated by men against women. However we recognise that controlling and abusive behaviour can also occur in same sex relationships and can be perpetrated by women against men.

There are different types of domestic abuse, including coercive control, physical/sexual abuse, psychological/emotional abuse, financial abuse, harassment/stalking, online/digital abuse, and being cut off from your family and friends.

 Domestic abuse is one person taking control of another and using this power over them. Children are affected by domestic abuse in the home, either by seeing abuse or by being abused themselves (child abuse). If this happens it becomes a child protection issue.

How we can help

24-hour response (one working day)

You can report domestic abuse to us via phone, email or via our website. We will respond within one working day (Monday to Friday). If something happens to you over the weekend, you can contact the police. You can also contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247 for support.

Advice and information

We know every case is different so we will advise you of your options. We can give you information about specialist agencies that offer advice and support (on tenancy issues, legal advice etc.) and, with your permission, refer you for help. These agencies could include an independent advocacy service who will be able to give you specialist independent help and advice.

We can also refer you to the local authority’s Homeless Persons Unit if you need emergency temporary accommodation (for example, refuges). This can involve you being referred to a refuge through the free phone National Domestic Violence Helpline on 0808 2000 247.

Safe place to meet and safe communication

You can meet staff in private at our offices or at an agreed safe place. We will also agree how we can stay in contact with you in a safe way.

Keeping your information private

We will not give your details, or the information you provide, to anyone without your permission unless there are serious concerns for your or your children’s safety. In cases where there are safeguarding concerns we have a legal responsibility to share information.


We understand if you are more comfortable talking about your case to someone who is the same gender as you. Please let us know if you would like to speak to someone of the same gender and if we can, we will arrange this for you.

Check the risk to your safety and the safety of your home

We can carry out a risk assessment where appropriate. We will go through your options with you, which may include increasing the security in your home. If it isn’t safe for you to stay in your home, we will give you advice, information and support to help you get alternative accommodation (such as emergency temporary housing).


Our Community Management Team will work with all individuals involved in domestic abuse. We will work with you to ensure our services and support available match your needs. We value how diverse our community is and we know that everyone has different needs, so we will ensure we fully understand your individual circumstances, concerns and support needs.

We may also put you in touch with a tenant or family support worker. Our Tenancy Support Team has access to specialist advice services. We can also refer you to our Income Management Team if you need support with your finances.

Regular updates

We will keep you up-to-date and provide you with someone who will investigate the situation and support you. This person will look after your case, keep in touch with you and be the first person you talk to in an emergency. We will make sure this person has had specialist training on domestic abuse.

Report incidents for you

With your permission, we can support you when you report an incident to the police, or even do it for you. We know that you may find it difficult to speak to the police directly. You can make a report to us and we can pass the information to the police for you. The police will then deal with this as if you had reported the incident to them directly. This is known as ‘third party reporting’.

What you can do

You can help us tackle domestic abuse and make your community safer by reporting domestic abuse to us, the police and your local council.

Speak to us

Don’t suffer in silence – we’re here to help you. We will speak to you in a sensitive way and will be non-judgemental. We will agree with you which option is best for you going forward.

The police

You can contact the police if you experience domestic abuse. Many forms of domestic abuse are criminal offences and the police can advise you on police action and other options that can be taken to protect and support you.

Get legal advice

We recommend that you get your own legal advice. This is particularly important for housing advice if you have a joint tenancy, are a joint leaseholder or joint homeowner with the person who is abusing you.

Contact your local authority

Most local authorities have a dedicated service for domestic abuse. You can visit your local authority’s website for more information.

Working together we are stronger

We will work with our partners to support you and to deal with anyone causing domestic abuse. We know that domestic abuse cases involve many organisations and we will work closely with your local authority, the police and support agencies to ensure you and your family are safe.

We take part in Multi-Agency Risk Assessment Conferences (MARACs). A MARAC is a single meeting which combines up to date information with a comprehensive assessment of a victim’s needs and links these directly to the provision of appropriate services for all those involved in a domestic violence case; victim, children and perpetrator.

A risk assessment is carried out and high risk cases are referred to the MARAC.

If your case is not referred to the MARAC, we will organise multi-agency meetings with relevant support agencies, such as the police and relevant support agencies.

Useful Contacts


National Domestic Violence Helpline

A national helpline which is available every day of the year - Freephone: 0808 2000 247


Unless it is an emergency, you should call the Norfolk Constabulary Police Services on 101 at any time. Alternatively, report it online here.

In an emergency (a crime is happening, someone suspected of a crime is nearby, someone is injured, you are being threatened or you are in danger) call 999.


Information and advice for children and young people affected by domestic abuse Freephone: 0800 1111. Website:

Victim Support

Telephone: 0808 1689 111. Website:

Broken Rainbow National Helpline - LGBT Provides services to lesbian, gay, bisexual and Trans (LGBT) people who are experiencing domestic abuse. Phone: 0300 999 5428 Website:

Respect Men’s Advice Line – Male Victims Freephone: 0808 801 0327 Website:



Forced Marriage Unit

Information if you are worried that you might be forced into marriage or are worried about a friend or relative. Telephone: 020 7008 0151 Website:

Respect Phoneline

Concerned about your own abusive behaviour? Freephone line: 0808 802 4040

You can phone this number if you are worried about your own abusive behaviour, or you are a professional or individual looking for help for an abuser. Website:

National Centre for Domestic Violence

Provides a free, fast emergency injunction service to survivors of domestic abuse regardless of their financial circumstances.

Freephone: 0800 970 2070 Website:


women and children victims. The national charity for women and children experiencing domestic abuse. Website:



Women’s Aid 

For female victims. Website:

Rights of Women

Legal advice for women. Website:

Co-ordinated Action Against Domestic Abuse (CAADA)

National charity supporting strong multi-agency response to domestic abuse.Website:


Provides a range of information for both professionals and individuals. There is information on the website for friends and family worried about someone who is experiencing domestic abuse. Website:


Anti-LGBT hate crime charity. Website:

Reporting Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing or have concerns about domestic abuse please complete the form below and a trained member of staff will respond within one working day (Monday to Friday)

Report Domestic Abuse