Employment Support is becoming Community Skills
If you're a Victory Housing tenant and you're looking to improve your skills and opportunities, the Community Skills team are here for you. Call, email or use the contact form below for a free, informal and confidential chat if you'd like to discuss any of these topics.
“I found it difficult to engage with people because of my depression and anxiety. I recommend the community skills support and if it was not for Julia’s help I would not be where I am now in a lovely job after a period of unemployment.”
“You have been a breath of fresh air. Anyone who meets you will get your full attention and help in getting back into the workplace. Your knowledge of the job centre and how to go about preparing a CV has been invaluable to a novice like myself. Thank you for being patient and understanding.”
Taking your next step
The Community Skills team can help you:
- Preparing for a return to work
- Your first job
- A change of job
- Accessing volunteering
- Finding work experience and learning opportunities
We'll soon be launching a Facebook group for Victory Housing tenants who are looking for help with their career. If you'd like to be invited to this exclusive group, drop us an email and we'll be in touch. We'll be sharing top tips on CV writing, careers guidance, volunteering opportunities, access to training and much more!
We offer flexible, personal 121 support on a range of subjects including digital skills, mock interviews, confidence building, skills checks and a whole lot more!
- Difficulties such as dyslexia and visual stress that may be holding you back
- Accessing local resources and digital/IT equipment
- Writing your CV and improving your interview skills
- Exploring local volunteering opportunities
- Building an individual personal development plan
- Getting to grips with job centre requirements
- Understanding and working with Universal Credit
The ABC of changing jobs
Whether you’re currently unemployed, at a crossroads in your career or simply ready for a change, we can help you explore options for a career pivot.
- A job – move back into employment or get your first job
- Better job – develop and use more of your skills, earn better pay or find opportunities for professional development
- Career job – the role you really want, matching your interests with your skill set
Your rights as an employee
If you’d like to learn more about your rights at work, ACAS gives employees and employers free and impartial advice on rights, rules and best practice in the workplace. Plus, they offer training and help to resolve disputes. Visit https://www.acas.org.uk/ to find out more.
How Covid-19 has affected the jobs market
Every sector has been impacted by Covid-19 in one way or another. People in all sectors, on the lowest incomes, are most at risk of becoming unemployed.
However, demand is growing for people to work in core sectors like IT, logistics and food sales. And, as working from home becomes increasingly common, companies are also looking for people with good digital skills. These can include:
- remote team leading
- team working online
- video conferencing
- online selling
The Skills Toolkit from the National Careers site has free courses that can help you get started.
The most desirable transferable skills include:
- Problem solving
You can find out more about these five skills on the National Careers site.
Get in touch
If you’re a Victory Housing tenant and you’d like to more about how our Community Skills Team can help you, there are a few ways you can get in touch.
- Call us on 0330 123 1860 and ask to speak to Community Skills Team
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fill in the form below and we’ll get back to you!